Saturday, February 11, 2012

My experience as an English Teacher ;))

Year 2004 when I started teaching English. I started at an Academy for Korean students who were sent here in Baguio City Philippines by their parents to learn English... and golf. The salary was not bad, actually it was better than working as a regular teacher in a regular school, don't get me wrong, the salary was probably higher in a Korean Academy because it's a private institute.
Teachers received their salary in a weekly basis, and if you want you can have it every 10 days, which means bigger amount ;) I was so happy when I got my first salary =D as in YEY!!! I worked 8 hours /day, I had 4 students, I taught 1 student for 2 hours. And I also had a group class, consisted of 4 grade schoolers. (Group class meant additional cash ^^ KACHING!) so that was how I was able to buy an expensive (that time) nokia cellphone. It was easy to save money, so we were also able to buy a brand new computer! another YEY!! I worked at the Academy for 8 months. That was a bit short 'cause I found out that I can receive higher salary when I work privately.
Private means I go to my students' place to teach them English. It was great, no financial pressure, I could bring my kids out almost every weekend, I could buy them new things :))
So private class lasted for almost 3 years. It finally became difficult for me to get students.
In 2007, I applied as a phone English Teacher at a private institute.
The salary was not that big, it was o-k. But there were issues between employees and employers, and I was the employee who openly complained :/ and the other employees?  They were bunch of kiss-ass-yes ma'am-yes sir ~.~ and I didn't like that. So after a few months, I was out of there. woah! What a relief! Jobless?? well...Yes...but just for a few days ;) thank goodness I have my own computer and I have (not bad) internet connection.
So I started searching for students online. I made a skype account (thank you skype) I sent messages to random Korean and Japanese pips, and I didn't wait long. From then on, I've been teaching online at the comfort of my home ^__^ My first students were business men, and not just Korean, I had a Russian student (who paid the highest ^^) . That was the start of my booming Private Online Class! (I'm exaggerating) I'm so glad I met students who liked me as their teacher, because of their recommendations I was never out of students. I've had Korean, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, and even Indian (really from India) students...

No comments:

Post a Comment